Re: [school-discuss] first programming language

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 06:41:54PM -0600, Charles Coss? wrote:
> There ya go. Looks like the Pythons have it.

Ah, I don't go anywhere.  I sit and write in shell and Scheme.

"b*tt ugly" above also related to pythons, all the incompatible
of them.  Forcing syntax doesn't help style to be acquired,
just as a stick is indeed better at learning to drive.

Two folks from whom I'd consider programming language experts
recently happened to coincide on "students should better study
how to program, not Guido's personal psychology".  One of them
did something like Zope porting between python 2.x versions,
just to put things in perspective.

Both of them agreed that unix shell is indeed better at that
particular task, especially for non-CS students (moreso pupils).

YMMV of course...

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>