Re: [school-discuss] 200 teachers lose their jobs: modest proposals

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:44, mike eschman wrote:
> the average classroom will now have 33 students instead of 28 (the
> official number is 30, but it doesn't add up - everyone is too upset to
> look 33 students in the eye.]

Oh, dear. Classes become *much* less effective above about half that size.

> so kids take a beating again.

Brace yourself!

There is a good alternative for families that don't have both parents working,
and that is home schooling. As long as it isn't being done by obsessive
people in order to isolate their children, it works very well. There is one
case of retarded teenagers homeschooling with great success. If home
schooling suits 10% of your families, your class sizes are back down to 30.
It may also be possible (IANAL) to swing a deal with existing local home
schoolers where some school children are rotated through their families (for
maybe a month or so at a time) and in return the homeschoolers get to use
some school facilities (like maybe a gym or science lab) which are not 100%
occupied.

Not a panacea, but may a piece of a workable solution.

> if you want to know why i obsess over sea level rise, any schools that
> flood this huriccane season will stay closed - all janitorial O.T. and all
> emergncy repair fund are gone.

This in a supposedly first-world country...?

> if anyone on the list has been here and gotten out alive, i could really
> use an inspirational story right about now.

Get the older kids together to brainstorm and work out on paper, various ways
of funding the school. Fetes and such are an obvious place to start, but I'm
sure there are other amazing and unique opportunities. Putting these things
together and running them is brilliant vocational training for anything
involving public contact or business methods, and it will get the children
more on the school's side too.

Cheers; Leon