Re: [school-discuss] Learning Objects

Some years ago I got all excited about IMS and learning objects.
As a programmer I could really see the potential, and would have
agreed fully with the statement above.  We could build courses
like lego and "let em go" - what a time saver!

Now, as I teach more and learn more online, I find I use fewer
resources and use an increasing amount of structured collaboration
between people in order to stimulate really meaningful learning
(as opposed to page turning).  It's more work but ultimately
much more effective.  SCORM and some of the other IMS standards
are looking less and less relevant to this kind of teaching.

I'm not writing SCORM off - the idea of learning objects has
plenty of uses in niche areas - I'm just saying be wary of this
stuff as a universal panacea.  As the following article points
out, remember CORBA?

http://www.onlinelearningmag.com/onlinelearning/magazine/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1526769

--
/* http://dougiamas.com */