Re: [school-discuss] Learning Objects

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 05:05:30PM +1000, Nichol, Cameron B wrote:

> The way learning resources are tagged and the way Learning Management Systems
> handle metadata (and therefore learning objects) is rapidly emerging as one of
> the biggest (if not the biggest)issues in learning technology.  For many
> organisations the alighnment of learning applications with the standards will be
> crucial to whether that application is accepted or not.
> If open source learning applications are going to be accepted outside the
> "cottage industry" market it is an issue that needs to be addressed.
> I don't think learning objects (and metadata standards)as they are currently
> being conceptualised will be the only future direction for content design and
> learning applications but they will be important.
> The cataloging function of the metadata standards will be vital.  It could
> probabaly be described as the international "Dewey Decimal system" of digital
> resources.
> Its a debate we need to be aware of and engaged in.

Wow! thanks David, Cameron, Martin for these exciting threads!

"Cataloguing function of metatada standards", although vital, rarely capture
the attention of my colleagues <grin>  still someone has got to worry about
it! I imagine the discussions leading up to the establishment of the Dewey
Decimal system were not the most popular in the staffrooms of the time
either :-)

David Wiley who wrote the opencontent textbook on Learning Objects (I
mentioned earlier) is now just started a free online course on "sustainable
education" http://decentralized.ed.usu.edu/sustainable

Bruno