Re: [school-discuss] Cat-5 question

Les Richardson wrote:
[snip]
> The connections used are 1,2,3, and 6. Number one in a RJ45 is the far
> right one when viewed as if you're going to plug it into your mouth with
> the spring lock part downwards.

I *love* your description here!

> 1 and 2 is one pair and 3 and 6 is the other. Important.
>
> I would suggest using standard color code wiring in case someone else
> comes along afterwards...

Yes.

> Do not expose too much of the wires from the sheathing. (not really
> critical)
>
> Do not untwist more than 1/2" (12.5mm) of the pairs when putting on the
> RJ-45 connector. (critical)

YES!  I learned that the hard way.  The easiest way to not untwist the
pairs past the 1/2" mark is to refrain from stripping more than 1/2" of
sheathing.  If you do untwist too much, the cable will still likely work
at 10Mbits, but it will NOT work at 100.  An auto-detecting hub or NIC
will still think you have a 100Mbit path though, and it will fail
spectacularly.

> Don't bend or kink the cable.
>
> Keep 18" or more away from fluorescent lights.

And don't run within a foot or two and parallel to A/C wiring for more
than a couple of feet.  Sometimes you can't help it though.

jthomas@bittware.com  http://www.bittware.com          (703) 779-7770
A pessimist is an optimist with experience