Re: [school-discuss] Cost comparisons for Linux vs. Windows

On Wednesday 14 August 2002 09:30 am, Cameron Miller wrote:

> > I'm working on a paper for one of my graduate courses that is
> > tentatively titled "Free As In Speech: Using Open Source Software In
> > Education." Depending on how it turns out I plan to submit it for
> > publication to one of the educational technology journals.

> Don't just focus on entry cost.  Focus on TCO over time, compare versus
> the myriad of proprietary software upgrades, and definitely get into the
> new Microsoft subscription program of forced annual payments and upgrades.

Consider, too, the cost of upgrading hardware to keep up with the minimum
system for running the new proprietary software coming out of Microsoft.
Look at the minimum system requirements for Windows 2000 vs. Linux.  I can
and do run Linux on a 486, and could, if I had one in stock, run Linux on a
386.  An early Pentium is hard pressed to run Windows 2000.

Thus, part of the price of running Windows is the need to replace systems or
major components every 3 years or so.  No so with Linux.

--
jeff williams - cfiaime@nconnect.net
                jeff.williams@cuw.edu