Re: [school-discuss] Cat-5 question

> 1.  Keep 18" or more away from fluorescent lights.
>
> So, runs in an attic that go above lights may be a problem??  Yikes!

The 18" or so is a "standard". We've gone by lights in 70-80ft runs
without problems. Just try to not run parallel to power lines, etc. The
twisted pairs are really quite immune to most interference if you do that
as below.

OoGBbgNn  (previously stated)

> The last example is exactly what I have been using (and have had no
> problems except in the longest run)  I realize this is convention but
> does anyone have any experience using a non-conventional pairing and
> having performance increases when switching (has changing fixed the
> problem?) to the convention?  I am just wondering if I should pull the
> works, get another box of cable and do it all over or if maybe I can
> salvage what I have by replacing a few ends with the right pairing.

Just replace the ends and do it right. You must use "pairs" to that you
have immunity from interference. (1 and 2 is one pair, 3 and 6 is the
other)

> I appreciate all the helpful responses and will wait til this after noon
> to decide my own fate.  Maybe you who are in the know can "vote" on how
> HomeTech Charter School can be operational by the beginning of school.
>
> Also, we will be deploying a four server internet, DMZ with web and
> mail, local host/squid,proxy and admin network solution.  If anyone
> wants to help install and test our solution or you want to see a
> school-wide solution without commercial software in action, send me mail
> and I can let you know where and when.

You can let me know. I've setup several schools without any commercial
stuff (other than on the workstation.)  They've been running for years
with very little to do, management wise, other than users and shares.

Les Richardson
H. Hardcastle School
Edam, Sk. Canada