[school-discuss] looking for schools "Doing it" for article

Dear Schoolforgers,

I've been invited to write an article for Scholastic Administrator, the audience
being k-12 tech coordinators, about Linux and Open Source.

The topics to be touched on include
-overview/intro to free software and open source
-Benefits
-Drawback
-Decisions, Decisions on your turf
-Getting Started
-Resources

If anyone has a good picture or two of kids and/or teachers working at a Linux
box that could be used, I'd make sure you got credit.
If anyone could help with suggested getting started links (for each platform, I
suppose) that would also be great.
It would also be great to get some more case studies, or more casual anecdotes
if you have them. I'll credit each and every one I get. I will, of course, make
use of the software and case study lists. Add to them if you can.
Finally, it would be great to use this occasion to begin a list of schools known
to be using free/open source to some extent and a to begin a list of "helpers"
(volunteer and commercial) available around the world: a step more specific than
a list of LUGS.

Just an idea: I'm beat and would like to make open source schools more available
as a tool for the schoolforge members. We talked about linking it to
schoolforge.net/news or schoolforge.net/docs or /journal or whatever. Perhaps we
could rearrange it so it has categories such as Schools, helpers and anything
else that would be useful. Perhaps we can update that table comparing software
available on different platforms. I'd also like to bring in the headlines from
Les's software list.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Best wishes, and happy new school year to nortern hemispherers.

David

--
http://www.iteachnet.org
http://members.iteachnet.org/~home About Membership