Re: [school-discuss] Re: [IIEP] archive of posts

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:10:12 -0500
"Dr. Robert G. Rittenhouse" <rob@CS1.MCM.EDU> wrote:

: Some possible tech fixes:
: Digest mode for busy lists (decreases frequency but doesn't cut
: back much on size).
: Limit size of messages
: Content filtering (e.g. no HTML, attachments).

I would suggest adding file compression to digest mode to reduce
bandwidth costs at both ends.

Other lists I am on reject posts that simply add a single line, like
'I agree'. Forcing users to edit their quotes is another reasonable
strategy. How many times have you seen a 100 line quote followed by
a one or two line reply? Again this not only reduces bandwidth
costs, but actually makes a message, (and a list)  more pointed and
readable.

	hth,
	b.