RE: [school-discuss] License for an open-source voting system?

The ACM has published an excellent article concerning security and open source software. While it doesn't directly address open source voting systems, it does include some interesting observations concerning vulnerabilities of the Diebold proprietary voting system.

The article is called "Increased Security Through Open Source". You can find it here:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0801.3924

Best of luck,
Uno

> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:23:51 -0700
> From: jriddiough@xxxxxxxxx
> To: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [school-discuss] License for an open-source voting system?
>
> Open Congress has some great resources on their website that could be
> starting points for further research and taking action:
>
> i.e. http://www.opencongress.org/issue/top_twenty_bills/6406_voting_machines
>
> Related:
>
> http://sunlightfoundation.com/
> http://www.participatorypolitics.org/
>
> Also must be mentioned: http://change-congress.org/
>
> Hope the links are useful. There are opportunities here; even with the
> low tech pen and paper ballot, it is inevitable that technology is
> involved in the process at some point. How / where / when it is applied
> is a great area for exploring and identifying the opportunities and
> finding ways to bring about greater transparency.
>

> aaron wrote:
> > Unlike the vast, sorry majority of my fellow Georgians,
> > I have a high degree of certainty that the votes I cast
> > were counted because, being an informed voting rights
> > activist and computer professional who understands
> > the insanity of entrusting our votes to the manipulations
> > of programmers and invisible computer software, I made
> > certain that I voted on a PAPER Ballot.

Get thousands of games on your PC, your mobile phone, and the web with Windows®. Game with Windows