Re: [school-discuss] OLPC Update

Daniel

Indeed the gross number is not huge, but looking at it from a different perspective there is a great deal to learn when "all" are part of the study.   I for one applaud the effort and suggest that OLPC seeks out further small nations in which they can cover a substantial percentage of the population with small donations.

In the end this is about a different ways to approach thinking.   When all the kids are part of it  amazing things can happen as they teach each other new tricks.

Sad to hear that there is some issue with build 703 of Sugar, hopefully that can be worked out and the computers will get an update. With regard to WinXP deployment I am guessing.. and this is only a guess...  that we won't see much of that till large scale national purchases come in.

It seems this deployment is a donation -  probably computers from the g1g1 program
The donation of 500 computers to Niue -- which has a total population of less than 1,500 -- is part of an initiative to distribute 5,000 laptops in the Pacific region, OLPC said in a statement.

Computers from the g1g1 program are all Sugar based if  I read correctly in another statement.  It would be interesting to see a roadmap for the Winxp loaded versions.

My hat is off to OLPC...   great move and I am eager to see learn the student story in this deployment.

Cheers

John "Tim" Denny, Ph.D.
Advisor- International Development, Education and ICT
Executive Director, PC4peace http://www.pc4peace.org
Advisory Board, Masters of Development Studies -RUPP
International Journal of Multicultural Education, Electronic Green Journal
http://www.avuedigitalservices.com/VR/drjtdenny
Join Cambodia Joomla! Users group - http://groups.google.com/jugcam

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." Alvin Toffler