RE: [school-discuss] CIA, NSA, Children, &c

Joel,

Personally, I've been impressed with the NSA's efforts to raise awareness of the need for Cryptology. In particular, I think that National Cryptologic Museum is a treasure. But you can examine their web page and decide for yourself:

http://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic_heritage/museum/

Better yet, if you are close to DC or Baltimore, just go visit the museum.

From my perspective, it would seem to be impossible to have any privacy on the Internet without Cryptology. And while I don't teach children, I would hope that we could find a way to interest them in cryptologic related issues such as privacy.

Not NSA related, but an open source learning tool, that I've had luck incorporating into my classes is Cryptool. It was originally developed by Deutsche Bank as an awareness training tool for their own employees. You can download the windows version here:

http://www.cryptool.de/

Last spring, I gave a short presentation about the (university level) crypto modules that I've developed. You can find the paper and presentation here:

http://cybersd.com/papers09/CryptoModuleDesPres.pdf

http://cybersd.com/papers09/CryptoModuleDesn.pdf

Note that my interest is in the application of cryptology to security. Consequently, these modules are security orientated. The Linux based modules run off of a LiveCD, such as Knoppix. If anyone is interested in adapting the modules to their classes, let me know and I'll send you the modules.

Best  of luck,
Ed

> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:23:32 -0700
> From: jj2kk4@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [school-discuss] CIA, NSA, Children, &c
> To: global-text-project-general-group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; information@xxxxxxx; IntegratingTechnology@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; INTERDIS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; HOLISTIC_LEARNING@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> The Central Intelligence Agency is aiming at
> getting kids interested in doing their kind
> of work at an early age:
>
> https://www.cia.gov/kids-page/
>
> So is the National Security Agency:
>
> http://www.nsa.gov/kids/home.shtml
>
> I can't help thinking of the government-organized
> and children-oriented group called the "Spies" in
> Orwell's _Nineteen Eighty-Four_ . . . .
>
> By contrast, the Defense Intelligence Agency
> doesn't seem to be focused on anyone younger
> than college-bound high school students:
>
> http://www.dia.mil/employment/student/index.htm
>
> At what grade level should cryptology be
> introduced into the curriculum? How about
> wire-tapping (with or without warrants)?
> How about water-boarding?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Joel

Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on Facebook. Find out more.