Re: [school-discuss] open source softare research

On Linux, I've seen RecordMyDesktop recommended by some people and also xvidcap.  Depending on your hardware, one program may work on your system and one may not or both may work.  Right now, neither will work with my desktop machine, although xvidcap worked fine on one laptop I have.  One method that looks useful for systems where programs like these might not work properly is to use imagemagick.

I've seen various scripts that let you use imagemagick's screen capture capabilities to create a video.  One example is here:
http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/60722

You should be able to use the imagemagick technique while recording with Audacity.  Also, if you have jack (or winjack) or a decent audio card, in some cases you can do things like playback from one program while recording it with another or have programs simultaneously recording.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp/osrclist.htm