Re: [school-discuss] Recommended remote linux client admin tools?

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 01:38:19PM +0700, David Bucknell wrote:
> Dear Schoolforgers,
>
> If you are successfully using a remote admin tool to install software
> on linux clients, can you share its name/url with me/us?
>
> The clients are using various versions of Fedora, but don't let that
> limit your responses.
>
> I'm trying out versions of VNC.

  You can use the ssh tricks that were listed along with debian/ubuntu's
aptitude tools. These tools allow you to specifiy a list of software
that you want all clients to have and then to install them.

Actually you need to use dpkg tool to specify software sets.
Once those sets are set, you can use the Apt tools to install and upgrade.

Then you can maintain a list of hosts and script it.

ssh admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx "commands to update".
I've never had good luck with Yum, but it can work in the same way.
Just make sure you select the switches that "turn off" prompting for
questions, and assume the "yes" answer so everything installs properly.
This may break some things too.

Let me know if you need more detail, which I have omitted.

-Phil Carinhas

--
| A Stitch in Design Saves Nine -  http://fortuitous.com   |