Re: [school-discuss] Tuxmath

Glad you are working on them.  I used them both extensively with elementary kids and they really liked them - but that was 5 years ago, before I retired in 2011.

I am in Texas, and it's hard to say what's going on in schools now.  I taught a high school class for a couple of months in 2014 (even had my old room), just to help out while they found a new teacher.  Oh my goodness . . . things had gone down hill.  They cut 5 billion from the budget in 2011.   Now they had 9 period days.  The kids were so exhausted by about the 7th period - the last 3 periods were a waste.  I don't know how any teachers have the time or energy to be creative anymore.

On 2016-08-04 09:43, LM wrote:

In case anyone's interested, I've been making some major modifications
to Tuxmath (and t4k_common).

I have tuxmath building with SDL2.  I fixed several issues where the
program crashes when one tries to exit it.  I also fixed some memory
issues.  I have SDL2_ttf (SDL_ttf) support working (as an alternative
to Cairo).  Added ability to use nanosvg in place of rsvg if desired.
I made some modifications for internationalization.  I'm using
unistring library instead of the old Unicode line-breaking code
borrowed from gettext that was added to t4k_common.  t4k_common build
works with newer or older versions of libpng.

I'm at the point where I'm testing the patches.  If anyone would like
to help test, please let me know.  I can share the patches if
someone's up to building from source.  I also have a Windows
executable I could probably package if anyone wants to try it out.
I've mentioned the modifications and asked for testers on the tuxmath
and tux4kids mailing lists.  (No real responses to date.)  Would also
be curious to know if anyone's using Tuxmath or Tuxtype on this
mailing list.

Thanks.
###