Re: [school-discuss] Educational Materials for Linux

Dr. Loss,

Thank you for your reply to my email.  You offered some very useful
suggestions and clarifications.  I will look into the resources
provided by schoolforge and k12ltsp, as you suggest.  I was
intrigued to learn that there is a possibility of creating a Linux
interface to the CDROM-based encyclopedias.	Maybe I could entice a
programmer here at LHRIC, or one of our affliates, to look into this
as a project.

> to your knowledge, (is anyone)working on a
> Mac-on-Linux solution such as WineX for Windows?  Also, would you
> know if
> it could be possible to design a web interface for this type of
> software so
> that it run natively on a Windows server but be accessed through a
> browser
> on a Linux machine?

Just to clarify the above points:  I was surprised to learn that no
one has tried to leverage the software available for Mac OS X to the
Linux platform.  On the next point I was asking about a solution
that would allow Windows software running on a Windows server
(specifically, the enclopedia software, including Encarta) to be
accessed by a Linux workstation through a browser.  This would be
similar to the standalone encyclopedia interface mentioned above,
but instead would use a browser such as Mozilla or
Konqueror to display the encyclopedia data.

Thank you.  Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year to you.

Jim Anderson
Lower Hudson Regional Information Center