Re: [school-discuss] Spreading LTSP over multiple servers?

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 05:21, ipaterson@shaw.ca wrote:
> Has anyone had any hands on experience using LTSP with multiple servers?
> What with the power of modern desktop machines, it's becoming much more
> plausible to have a pair of 1.2Ghz with oodles of RAM rather than a
> Quad-Althon SpaceHeater, but I'm curious if there are issues that would
> negate the cost benefit of doing this.

Not with LTSP but with Nymph thin clients. We have a site with 6 load
balanced rack mounted servers running 120 thin clients. This also
provides redundancy of the entire server so much less important to use
SCSI and RAID and therefore a lot less expensive to build and to
upgrade.

Main issue is the technical expertise to do things like load balancing

To see some pics www.thelearningmachine.co.uk

click case studies scroll down to East Hull CLC and click gallery.

--
ian <ian.lynch2@ntlworld.com>