[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
Re: [school-discuss] USB ThumbDrive trial...
- To: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [school-discuss] USB ThumbDrive trial...
- From: lee rodgers <sregdoreel@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 07:43:39 -0800 (PST)
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivery-date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 10:43:48 -0500
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=LkPQnM9PDow5IZC3X5zUbGEFinUZtvb4zSyZMNv1enOhGazc24tEqrS4k8xPjeGmmp1kl8s7jQMgA2JmUlR7QNnN4usLK+UX35mmTWHzsyz3YZXwaiqNnrDX2vWdLsFYe66PAG+u38OgdHHk/DQ6FefdCxwxmSR0jmy6KIEZ42U= ;
- In-reply-to: <20061223095948.GA27926@sonic.net>
- Reply-to: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bill Kendrick <nbs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>TuxPaint can be taken down to 9 MB using upx & judicious LOL!
> use of the delete button (sorry Bill, but no sound effects,
> no furrin languages & they can mirror the stamps any way
> they like... ;-).
Fine by me! In fact, it might be useful for me to document this in an FAQ somewhere. :)
Gotta run, baby feedin time
Actually TuxPaint's down to 5.6 MB.
The upx (.exe & .dll compression) utility is widely used to bring Windows & Linux application sizes down. My other methods are less elegant ... stripping out language support, help & other ancilliary support files.
Some portable app fans have other neat techniques for "portablizing" applications ... WinPenPack uses their "X" environment - a
simulated registry & .dll helper Other users are working with the Liberta Project, RegRapper, InstallAnything & the Ceedo Portable Registry. It's a booming mini-industry getting all this stuff to run off of ThumbDrives.
WRT to Java apps (which the Portable app community has found ungainly due to file size & Sun's restrictive distribution terms) I've been able to reduce Sun's JRE mess from 65 MB down to 13.6 MB (25% of the original) using both upx, jar compression and also ripping out the gargantuan Apache/Tomcat/JBoss classtrees in the main runtime rt.jar file. The rt.jar file is still 10.5 MB, but at least not as bad as it used to be... I tried to tear out the CORBA/RMI remote exec class trees but somehow that breaks Java (Sun has created a self-deprecating monster....). That and some other ugly hacks like experimentally tearing out lots of extra files, a couple I'll probably put back in.... IAC this has helped me distribute GeoGebra, Analytic math,
GeoNext, Virtual Lab & other otherwise open-sourced Java apps.
| This concludes our broadcast day |