Re: The "killer app" (was: Re: [school-discuss] Taking requests

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 09:46 -0600, Les R wrote:
> Hi Lee,
>
> > Perhaps the "the real" but currently missing "killer app" is a compendium of
> > documentation & training, particularly "train the trainer" curricula. Would
> > it help if edu FLOSS community can get content experts onboard with visual
> > tutorials (how to configure & use OpenOffice using tools like CamStudio)?
>
> Yes, very important. Crucial.
>
> > I've had discussions with media lab teachers & it appears that one
> > apparently *LARGE* obstacle to FLOSS adoption is lack of training &
> > curricular support. I'm also looking at a best practices (how-to) discussion
> > for school LAN/WAN administrative workflow, etc., a total school admin
> > knowledge base of some kind.
>
> Yes, this is the biggest issue (assuming that we now have easier
> installation, etc). Unless a teacher can have some sort of
> instructional support at least in skeletal form in front of a
> classroom, what incentive is there to use the software.
>
> Using the ecology idea,  these things are interdependent for program
> delivery in schools. Software is only one facet of that.  Curricular
> materials and training are others. I spend a lot of time writing
> documentation for Open Admin and will have to create more training
> materials in the future.  Just part of the deal, IMO, for any
> software.  Educational software needs to add these other components as
> well.
>
> My 2 cents worth.

The largest detriment to the APS linux thin client installation was the
lack of teacher training materials. New technology without a "here's how
to use this feature to teach this topic" was viewed and "not ready for
use" by many people with influence. A large chuck of the packages I've
seen at NECC are on par or sub par with free software version. But they
come with a manual. I don't see that justifies a $3000 price tag but...

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

<jkinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>