[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
[school-discuss] Your Open Source Project won 1st place! (Taos.com)
We discussed project ideas a while back and some of us have been in touch about ideas off-list. The new year looms as an opportunity to get the ball rolling. I hope you'll put some time aside on your new year's agenda for helping schoolforge.net get the word out in a more effective way. I just want to open this one up to your perusal. I am in favor of setting up a (small) company and applying for non-profit status. However, if any of you would like to sponsor us, somehow (sounds complicated legally), then we could put the money toward making a start on teaching materials -- not sure what we'd pay for, but, I'm sure there'd be costs.
Better ideas would be welcome.
A. Legal entity possibilities:
1. Set up our own and request non-profit status (someone willing to be the address of schoolforge.net? -- my company is in Thailand and non-profit status requires property -- which foreigners cannot have. Plus you need 200,000 Baht (US$6666.66) and you don't get tax-free status -- setting up a school is the only way to get that. A W-2 implies the US, right? Despite its set of complications, I think that the US is the easiest to set up in -- but you have to choose the right state. Deleware looms large as easy to set up in, but I don't know whether that would help us when applying for non-profit status.)
2. Piggy-back on another organization's legal status (where, who?).
B. Assuming we get the above worked out, then what to do?
* Let's go back to ideas again --
1. Personally, I'm for focusing on two things: teaching materials and
2. Training for both teachers and sys ads.
3. However, we need something aimed at decision makers, too: school admins and tech admins who advise them.
Please feel free to make comments and suggestions about A and B.
In the interest of protecting privacy, I've deleted the name and e-mail of the sender, but not the award letter information (Have a look at Taos.com -- they're offering us this funding):
----- Forwarded message from david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:11:57 -0800
From: David Bucknell <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [school-core] Re: [Feedback] Your Open Source Project won 1st place!
To: sender at taos.com
(I previously copied this to school-core.)
Thanks very much for this very generous offer of support.
After receiving your message, we discussed asking a certified non-profit to help us, but I didn't have time to follow it up. I think that's what we need, right?
Or, maybe we could use the money to apply for non-profit status. I am copying this to schoolforge.net's core group to ask what they think. I think I would like to do the latter.
Best wishes, and thank you _very_ much for your kindness.
On behalf of Schoolforge.net
---- Message from sender at taos.com ---------
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:18:11 -0800
From: sender at taos.com
Subject: [Feedback] Your Open Source Project won 1st place!
To: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Candice Rose (crose@xxxxxxxx) sent a message using the contact form at
> A little while back I had emailed you informing you of a contest the your
> Open Source project had been nominated for. I am happy to let you know that
> you have won Taos' Open Source Advocacy contest! SchoolForge.net has won
> $1,000.00 in free funding and we are thrilled to award the prize to such a
> worthy open source project. Who may I speak with directly about getting the
> prize money to School Forge? For accounting purposes we will only need a
> completed W-2 sent over to us in order to be able to issue the check to you.
> If we get it this week we will be able to get it to you before year's end.
> Look forward to speaking with a representative soon,
> Candice Rose
> Community Manager
----- End message from crose@xxxxxxxx -----
91 Suthisan, Dindaeng, Bangkok 10400
+66(0)84 329 1183 (cell); +66(0)2 693 8144 (Don't dial the zero (0) outside of Thailand.)
This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.