[school-discuss] Installing From Tar

I've been looking at online instructions for installing
Linux apps from tar files. So far, the things I've found
either assume too much knowledge on the part of the reader
or crash at some point on my setup. Does somebody have
material written for *really* ignorant idiots? Maybe a
lesson plan that was designed for teenagers or younger?
I do need to attack some programs and versions that were
never put into the RPMs, apt-gets, &c. Thanks.

Joel
###