Re: [school-discuss] Installing From Tar

On 12/20/14, Daniel Villarreal <yclwebmaster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's great that you install programs from source all the time, but how many
> GNU/Linux users have to really do this? Please note that this is addressing
> GNU/Linux, not SunOS users, or Solaris users.

I don't know how many "have to do this", but I do know many people who
prefer to do this.  They want more control over their system and
what's installed and how software is built than pre-built packages
allow for.

> Even OpenBSD has many
> packages ready-to-install, though you are free to use the ports system. How
> many people use Slackware as opposed to Ubuntu/Linuxmint/CentOS/Fedora,
> even OpenBSD?

I've seen polls and there a quite a lot of Linux (and GNU.Linux) users
that don't use the Debian/Ubuntu or the Red Hat/Fedora versions of
Linux.  I also see a lot of posts on some of the Linux forums I read
from users of systems like Slackware, Gentoo and Arch who are very
happy with their particular distributions and are very happy to
recommend them to others.
###