Re: [school-discuss] [Fwd: Which way to go?]

Hi,

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 08:06:42AM -0600, Joshua Walton wrote:
>
> > 1. a repository for open source applications useful to education
>
> there are some; see http://www.seul.org/edu/links.html for a serious list of
> such repositories

The seul/edu Application Index(390+ apps) is located at:

http://richtech.ca/seul

> > 2. open content learning objects available to the general public
>
> in a sense, a search engine like "google" can loosely be considered an open
> repository of learning objects... and boy do I make use of that in my
> courses... but the usage is usually limited to making external links (and
> essentially sending students away from the school's web environment ...
> hoping they return eventually.  The only integration aside from links is
> in the form of cut and paste which is unsatisfactory because it is hard to
> verify intellectual property permissions and because the pasted material
> becomes static (and few things stay static these days)

I have built a little app which allows teachers to quickly build webpage
of links. I can easily share code. It's perl/mysql based and is located
at:

http://richtech.ca
(under Weblinks 2). You create categories and then add URI's and
descriptions. View pages of sorted categories. This should be installed
locally on webserver on LAN, IMHO.

Les Richardson