Re: [school-discuss] Print server suggestions

On 24 Feb 2002 at 16:51, Doug Loss wrote:

No problem,
 > I'll download the source and compile.  Whoops, no development
tools on
 > TINY.  No problem, I'll go to Slackware and download the "d"
development
 > package and install it.  Whoops, that takes more space than I have
 > available.

OK, why not compile on another computer, and just copy the binary(s)
to the print server?

This is what I do on a couple of P-90's I have (running Slack).
Seems to work well for me.

-----
On 24 Feb 2002 at 15:03, Harry McGregor wrote:
 > Ok, I probably would NOT put a spooling print server on it, with
 > that amount of disk space.

270 MB?  Depends on how much you have left over.  I haven't ever
seen
a print job that was more than a couple of MB (OK, except for some
large color postscripts, but that isn't a concern here).

As to the merits of CUPS vs. LPRng, I have to plead ignorance.  :-)

--
Kyle Hutson /  Director of Technology  / Rock Creek Schools:  USD323
smyle@rockcreek.k12.ks.us                               785-494-8591