Subject: I might have put an OOo wedge into this door
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:28:23 -0500
From: Jim Anderson <netman1@optonline.net>
To: OOo Marketing List <dev@marketing.openoffice.org>

    Today was my first day back at work after an extended medical leave.
  It was also the day of the big staff budget status meeting.  The
governor of our state is looking to cut funding for our agency, which
provides networking and applications support to this area's school
districts.  He also wants to cut state funding to the schools.  So
everybody is in a budget crunch.  The staff are all asked to provide
some creative suggestions for solutions that we could provide to the
school districts to help them save money.

    Sensing the opportunity, I asked if our agency has been looking into
providing the schools open source alternatives to Microsoft software.  I
used the example of the OpenOffice.org suite as a replacement for
Microsoft Office.  The schools would save a substantial amount of money
and in return they would get an office suite that was Office-compatible
and free of yearly licensing fees.

    End result?  Following the staff meeting I'm in a discussion with
the 3 top people at our agency being asked to make a presentation about
using OpenOffice.org in our school districts.  If you want to see who we
are and who we service here's a few links:

http://www.lhric.org
http://www.lhric.org/about/index.html
http://www.lhric.org/schools/index.html

--
Jim Anderson

"There is no such thing as perfection... only different levels of pain."

Registered Linux user #269312
http://counter.li.org

Jim Anderson

"There is no such thing as perfection... only different levels of pain."

Registered Linux user #269312
http://counter.li.org

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss                 Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator  fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University     not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu           Mark Twain