Re: [school-discuss] Open Content: Dialog on creative commons licensing terms

Justin wrote:

> For those who want to learn more about the Creative Commons
> ShareAlike (SA) provision and what Steve is describing, a
> couple links:

> http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/5709

Thanks, I should have included something like that. I notice that Lessig doesn't mention incompatibilities among different CC licenses, even though there are.

> (Interestingly, CC 3 which was announced last Friday, is taking > steps towards addressing this issue with the compatibility > structure as mentioned in the link above - however, no licenses > have been approved as compatible at this point in time - read > here for more on this topic > http://creativecommons.org/compatiblelicenses )

This is why I personally prefer a public domain dedication to any license. There is no chance of incompatibility, and there's no way the license could have been poorly worded, or be struck down, since there isn't one.

I realize that many people are loathe to give up attribution, but realistically people can and do give attribution to works in the public domain, and in "moral rights" countries it's not always possible to disclaim the right to attribution anyway.

-=Steve=-

-- Stephen H. Foerster Free Curricula Center http://freecurricula.org