Re: [school-discuss] License Flipping

knowtree@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I suggest we look around and identify as many of these sacred cows as
possible, and pool the results here. Then we can all contribute ideas for
alternative FOSS solutions.

A keystone of our success strategy at Brandon Elementary and thence Atlanta Public Schools was the movement towards web-based delivery of educational applications, which means schools can still spend money on applications (as they seem to prefer...), but by being web-based, the apps are more reliable (as long as the Internet feed is reliable and adequate), and more importantly can be extended to the home. Two great examples we used was Accelerated Reader and First-In-Math: by switching to Web delivery of these educational applications, the requirement for a Windows OS was removed, and that was critical to making the transition in school. By extending them to the home (although we did decide later to disallow Accel. Reader from home, too many parents were helping the students take the reading tests...), we had kids spending a lot more time doing enjoyable math and reading activities, and saw our academic performance go up as a result.

Given the entrenchment, I'd therefore recommend looking initially for web-based alternatives to the sacred cows than can be delivered to any OS or web browser, making sure that FOSS browsers work well with them. That takes the discussion away from "we want to replace all the software in which you invested" to "here's a better way to deliver those apps for the long run, that extends them into the home, puts them on any computer w/o having to install software over and over, and gets teachers away from using CD ROMs that tend not to be very reliable in classroom settings. Then, as we found at Brandon, you can argue that everything you want to do currently can still be done in FOSS, only more reliably and cheaper over time.

Another school district here in the Atlanta area considered moving to Linux thin clients after watching APS, but initially doomed the adventure because some folks insisted that every Windows app they currently use must also be supported. Later, I gave their senior leadership in IT and in Instruction a briefing on how to make the change, and one of my bullet points on a final slide on "How to kill a pilot effort" was to insist that all current Windows apps be supported. Rather I argued, moving to web-based apps would free them to choose any OS (Linux, MAC, or Windows) as the preferred OS in the future, wherever the industry went. That notion apparently sunk in, as they're doing a pilot of Linux thin clients as we speak.

Small, enabling steps are my two-cents recommendation.

Best, Daniel

--
Daniel Howard
President and CEO