Re: [school-discuss] FOSS Professional development courses for teachers

We're also looking for wiki hosting for gathering material, performing the
editorial process and fleshing out the course material.

what material do you wish to gather?

The breadth of topics is quite wide at the moment. There is some energy in the local community and I'd like to see it put to use. People have their own goals so will scratch their own itch.

I'm looking for material on
 * Good apps used for general curriculum.
 * Introductions to FOSS for teachers.
 * Linux desktops for educators and school administration.
 * Why FOSS makes sense in schools.
 * Collaborative coursework development tools.
 * FOSS tools that encourage collaborative learning and provide new learning pathways (particularly mobility).

I've since discovered an initiative running here by Open Source Victoria which is creating a curriculum (VELS) matrix matching FOSS apps to each essential learning component. I plan to put some time into this if I can find a way to help, but in the interim I'm learning as much as I can about how IT gets "done" in Victorian schools and where FOSS can fit into the learning process.
Encouragingly there is indication of a latent grass-roots FOSS interest in some schools. Maybe I can capitalise on experience gained there.