A start on an answer for Jeremy and James: [school-discuss] project idea: open source text books

Dear Jeremy and James,

I have a little experience in textbook publishing, so I can _start_ an answer to your questions, but only in general terms.  See below, please.

----- Message from reed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ---------
    Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:54:27 -0600 (CST)
    From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [school-discuss] project idea: open source text books
      To: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, James Daley wrote:
>
> - find out how much schools spend on certain textbooks and how often
> updated or replaced.
* Most schools work on a 3 to 5 year update schedule.  A different subject is reviewed each year, so there's a cycle of purchasing.  I'm sure people can point out whether this is true for their areas.

> - find out procedures for publishers to propose new textbooks
* I don't know.  I do know that they are constantly thinking about and discussing ideas.  They are relatively slow to get texts to market, but that's changing a little with online texts.

> - find out procedures for instructors to request new textbooks
*Teachers and dept heads have a say, esp. in independent schools.  But even in districts, their opinions are sought and considered.

> - how are lawmakers involved? What are the levels of permission or
> requirements? (local, district, state?)
* They are usually involved in the budget, but not in the actual selection.  However, the dept of education usually has a great deal of power in these decisions.
> - what types of textbooks require permission at different levels?
* I don't understand this question.
> ###

----- End message from reed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -----

 Best wishes,