Re: [school-discuss] ltsp server specs question

If you aren't already, two very good email lists to be a member of:

ltsp-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LTSP is super - I've been using it for years and still do.

Some good advice on the specs from others. SSD or 10k rpm discs in RAID
1 for boot/apps. These don't have to be big. A 60gb SSD is more than
enough.

You can put /home on something cheaper. See if you can stretch for an i7
with hyperthreading as Linux sees that as double the cores.

Max out the ram. DDR3 is dirt cheap and while you may only have so many
desktops active at a time, the others will still be using RAM. Go
gigabit as far as you can - things like Flash, Youtube, etc take a
tremendous amount of bandwidth.

When you run into any sort of problem, Google and those lists above are
definitely your friend.

Good luck,
William

On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 22:28 -0800, David Bucknell wrote:
> Dear Schoolforge,
>
> If you have experience with ltsp, would you comment on the following
> specs for a new server for a small school (50 clients and another
> possible 100 laptops ... usually only 25% of those on-line).
>
> DA SPECS:
>
> CPU I5-2400                 3y warranty
> MB asus p8z68-v lx      3y
> RAM 4GB                     LT
> Power Supply 850W      5y
> two 500GB HDs 7200RPM
> no dvd drive
> no graphics card, onboard graphics only
>
> We're asking because this page is a bit old:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToCookEdubuntu/Chapters/HardwareRequirements
>
> Thank you,
>
> David

###