Re: [school-discuss] Textbook discussion followup: Booktype

These are already in our software directory, but here are some other useful applications when dealing with publishing and documents:

The article mentioned Latex.  Lyx ( http://www.lyx.org ) simplifies Latex use and adds a GUI.

I use HTML and wkhtmltopdf ( http://code.google.com/p/wkhtmltopdf/ ) for book layout.  There was an interesting article on A List Apart ( http://www.alistapart.com/articles/boom ) for using HTML and CSS for book formatting.

Tiddlywiki ( http://www.tiddlywiki.com/ ) is a personal wiki that runs locally in any modern browser.  You can use it on or offline and can create hypertext documents that can be shared easily or published to a web server.

FBReader ( http://www.fbreader.org/ ) runs on a variety of platforms and lets you read various book formats like EPUB.  (List of supported formats is at: http://www.fbreader.org/content/documentation/formats )

There are also links for tools like xpdf, mupdf, ghostscript, a2ps, enscript, antiword and others.

I'd really like to dig up some decent Open Source OCR and HOCR applications to add to the list, but so far, haven't found anything I would recommend using.  Has anyone else had better luck?

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp/books.htm