Re: [school-discuss] ltsp server specs question

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:54:00AM -0800, Dean Montgomery wrote:
> School District 73 found that diskless clients work much better
> than LTSP.  Server has less load therefore does not have to be
> as fast/expensive.

It all depends on the balance between available and planned
hardware.  When you've got many PIIs in pretty solid shape
scrapping them might make no sense.

> * software runs locally on the client which gives you many benefits:
> ** 3d acceleration
> ** sound support

We've got that with ALTSP thin clients either
(but recording *is* trickier).

> ** very little load on the server.

That's true.

> ** one student cannot bring the server/network to a crawl.

Hey, have you got *that* lazy students? ;-)

> However for older machines, laptops, @home access you create
> a fallback to thin-client protocols.

@home part rather relates to NX, not TC per se --
nice you've mentioned it, works wonders on DSL.

In general, "diskless" and "thin" are orthogonal:
- diskless thin client is a common LTSP case;
- localboot thin client is what we can do without PXE;
- diskless fat client is what you described;
- localboot fat client is your typical PC desktop.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
###