Re: [school-discuss] ltsp server specs question

as far as web traffic.  I would like to suggest that you use a second Nick and proxy access the internet content through a program like  http://dansguardian.org.  I have had excellent results in the past filtering a school with diversion program of JSO's.  It kept the content tracked and filtered with no issues.

If you can snag  a separate server to handle just the internet content it would be a better solution.  I can send you a new older Intel P4MB wCPU, dated but healthy if you can get the ram, 2nd NIC, CPU cooler, case and Power supply to build one. firewall.

The LTSP server will need to manage connections and feed the content back to the students.  If you will be providing significant MutiMedia content you WILL find the network bogging dow,  A Gigabit Nic and Router with Gigabit switches feeding it would be advise.

Most of the content you will deal with, I expect, is likely to not require huge files and such, but the sheer number of connection requests can become overwhelming depending on what you ask them to get during the class sessions.  In general any decent i% system with Maximum ram running in a well ventilated corner should suffice.  I would also suggest that you consider adding on an external 1gb drive to act as a backup repository with good backup solution working overnight.

Lemmi know if you need the board.  Too power hungry for my needs and just sitting on a shelf.

Bill Ries-Knight
stockton.