Re: [school-discuss] Possibilities

1/19/02 10:19:53 AM, Chris Hobbs <chobbs@silvervalley.k12.ca.us> wrote:

>Jeff,
>
>Your best bet would be to use those 486's as dumb terminals connected to
>a much more powerful server - here's how:
>
>http://www.k12ltsp.org/
>
>An adequate server that would serve a lab (20-30 clients) could be built
>easily for $2000 from commodity parts, maybe much cheaper (been awhile
>since I built a new application server for our project
><http://www.silvervalley.k12.ca.us/~chobbs/xterms>) .
>
>Other than that, I'd be very surprised if you could turn those 486's
>into really useful standalone machines - it doesn't matter what OS you
>put on them, they're going to feel very slow - but as terminals, they'll
>get new life.
>>JavaScript.

Obviously I can't spell LINUX either...

If I had access to any money I would get copies of win95 and run them - they
would be fast enough.  I'm looking for the no-cost solution. The likelihood of
improving the hardware in the next 2-3 years is quite slim.

I am trying to find some way for more people to get access.  Most of us are
confined to a maximum connect speed on 26.4K - the schoold od have a faily
fast network setup - but not that many computers

More, bigger, better, faster is a lost concept