[school-discuss] most frequently used words

I am looking for some easy ways to figure out the most commonly used
words (in English).

But, I would like to categorize them by nouns, verbs, article, pronouns,
conjunctions, etc.

Does anyone know of any dictionary software that can be used on an Unix
command-line that can help?

Such as some tool like:

  $ the-dictionary -t frog
  noun
  $ the-dictionary -t ahdsjkhgfe
  [not in dictionary]
  $

(I already can build a list of frequently used words from miscellanous
emails, and HTML and txt docs on my system.)

My plan is to build categorized lists of top words for reading practice.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/

p.s. for example, frequently used words (not categorized):

7.6% the
2.6% a
2.5% of
2.3% and