Re: [school-discuss] evaluation of astronomy apps at opensource schools ...

hello,

as you suggested, i went to sourceforge and downloaded celestia's 1.2.5
.tar.gz file from sourceforge.  install took less than three minutes and went
without a hitch.  the interface is intuitive so documentation is not an
issue.  the image catalog - well, i played with it for two hours.

celestia runs a little sluggish on my test box. a 1 gigahertz athalon with 512
meg of ram and a 64 meg video board.  but i had 5 or 6 other things going :-)

so i'm keeping celestia and will package it with my solor system notes.

and my wife and i are going to play with it tonight.

this made doing the evals worthwhile :-)

it's pretty, useful and installs in a snap.

BTW, my initial difficulties stem from the Selu/Edu Application Index having a
.tar.gz from Celestia 1.2.0, not 1.2.4, for download, and it was a .gz with
no gzip in there.

mike eschman, etc ...
http://www.etc-edu.com
"Not just an afterthought ...