[school-discuss] Help!

Anyone out there using commercial open source (free as in free speech)
software in their administrative functions?

Specifically, I've just been told that after a year of deciding to ditch M$,
our district will be purchasing two (two!)  major pieces of software running
with M$ SQL backends;  financial and student management programs.

I'd take DB2, Oracle, whatever!  At this point, I'm not even concerned about
open source (though that would solve some of the headaches we've had with our
existing apps for these purpsoses) as long as it isn't Microsoft!