Re: [school-discuss] DSS for Teachers, Adminstrators....

Dear Schoolforgers,

I may be off here, but on first (quick) reading, my reaction is to wonder if,
perhaps, some of you might be less than totally aware of what is already
available on the Web that is not open source, but is, for practical purposes, in
the public domain.

Not only does each state have its standards, and so do all of the commonwealth
countries, but each national organization, discipline-specific, has linked
standards to actual lessons -- and they are _very_ well done and complete.

You might also be interested in these sites because they introduce you to
current pedagogy which, interestingly, supports the open source software
development model, by the way. I am going to address a group of international
teachers and technology leaders in March and I plan for to make this correlation
a central part of my talk. Anyone interested in discussing it with me would be a
welcomed collaborator.

If you already know all this, please forgive me for butting in. I just want to
make sure that you have current information. For this reason, I am attaching
(html) the draft of a page I began preparing for my faculty to show them
examples of what the Web offers in place of the traditional textbook. Please
have a look if interested in curriculum because the first part (top chunk of
links) is about how to build standards-based lessons; the next parts are
discipline-specific and include a totally open and simple idea, the Web quest.
If you want an idea of some of the neat things teachers are doing these days,
look at the Web quests.

Speaking of databases such as you describe, have a look at the McRel links and
the English Language Arts links from NCTE (National Counsel of Teachers of
English) and the IRA (International Reading Association). Go slowly and read
deeply. It will help you in whatever you decide to do with curriculum.

Feel free to use my list as a starting point for your database.

For me, what's needed is something that pushes, or invites, teachers to publish
their own lessons under open licenses and to tie their lessons to the use of
free and open software.

Just a quick thought.

Best wishes,

David

==

--
http://www.iteachnet.org
http://members.iteachnet.org/webzine *

http://members.iteachnet.org/
http://www.opensourceschools.org/
Title: ditchthetextbook

Ditch the Textbook!

The following sites and lessons have a few things in common:
  1. child-centered focus
  2. activity/project-based learning where/when possible
  3. collaborative/cooperative learning where possible

From Standards to practice and back again:

K-12 Standards

Arts Standards

Arts Standards
Memphis City Schools Arts Standards

Geography, History and Social Studies  Standards

Geography for Life National Standards
Standards List
National History Standards
Memphis City Schools Social Studies Standards

Mapping the World by Heart (Program Description)
National Geographic 8th Grade Geo.
Geography Resources from the Univ. of Texas
Geography Courses on the Web - Texas
Geography World
Resources for Teachers

K-4 Online Lessons

5-8 Geography Resources
9-12 Resources
Bringing History Alive
Teaching US History with history places
Social Studies Resource Database

English Language Arts Standards

Levels k-2

Contexts and Examples

Elementary Reading Page Washington County, Maryland, US

Lesson Plans

k-2
Literary Engagement
Literary Engagement
Lessons
k-2
Reading Aloud
Partner Reading
Fluency
Process Writing
Reading Theater
Shared Reading
Writers Notebook
Learning Language
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
k-2
Literacy Engagement
Comprehension
Critiquing Texts
Genre Studies
Grammar
Graphic Organizers
Guided Reading
Phonetic Awareness
Phonics
Punctuation
Spelling
Text Structure
Vocabulary
Learning about Language
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
k-2
Literacy Engagement
Content Reading
Critical Literacy
Drama
Inquiry/Research
Integrated Curriculum
Literature Studies
Social Action
The Arts
Learning through Language
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons

Lessonplan links from UConn: The Literacy Web

Webquests

17 k-2 Language Arts Webquests listed on Bernie Dodge's USD Webquest Home
Literacy.uconn Webquests
Washington County, Maryland Elementary Level Webquest Matrix
About Webquests
Internet4schools

Student Publishing

Applying literacy online - The Literacy Web - UConn

Levels 3-5

Contexts and Examples

Elementary Reading Page Washington County, Maryland, US
The Literacy Web 3-4 Home

Lessons from Read, Write, Think

Lesson Plans

3-4 Lesson plan links from The Literacy Web, UConn
5-6 Lesson plan links from The Literacy Web, UConn
4-5 from lessonplanspage.com

Technology Integration

The Literacy Web's Suggestioned Links

Webquests

60 3-5 Language Arts Webquests listed on Bernie Dodge's Webquest Home at U.S.D.
3-4 Webquest list from The Literacy Web, UConn
5-6 Webquest list from The Literacy Web, UConn
Washington County, Maryland Elementary Level Webquest Matrix
Memphis Schools Webquests

Student Publishing Ideas/Opportunities

3-4 Applying literacy online - The Literacy Web - UConn
5-6 Applying literacy online - The Literacy Web - UConn

Literacy Engagement
literacy engagement
Lessons

Learning Language
literacy engagement
reading aloud
partner reading
fluency
process writing
reader's theater
shared reading
writer's notebook
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons

Lessons
Lessons

Learning about Language
literacy engagement
comprehension
critiquing texts
Genre Study
Grammar
Graphic Organizers
Guided Reading
Phonemic Awarenes
Phonics
Punctuation
Spelling
Text Structure
Vocabulary
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons

Learning through Language
literacy engagement
Content reading
Critical literacy
Drama
Inquiry/Research
Integrated Curriculum
Literature Study
Social Action
The Arts
Lesssons
Lessons
Lessons
Lesssons
Lessons
Lesssons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons

Web Resources 3-5

Levels 6-8

Examples and Contexts

Middle School ELA Home, Washington County, Maryland
6-7 Reading and English Language Arts Curriculum
6-7 Grade-Level Focus ELA Page, Washington County, Maryland
6-7 ELA Resources, Washington County, Maryland
    Graphic Organizers
    Portfolio Contents
    Literacy Resources

Lesson Plans

Literacy Engagement
6-8
Literacy Engagement
Literacy
Lessons
Next table
Learning Language
Literacy Engagement
Reading Aloud
Partner Reading
Fluency
Process Writing
Readers' Theater
Shared Reading
Writers' Notebook
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons

Learning about Language

Literacy Engagement
Comprehension
Critiquing Texts
Genre Studies
Grammar
Graphic Organizers
Guided Reading
Phonemic Awareness
Phonics
Punctuation
Spelling
Text Structure
Vocabulary
Learning about Language
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons

Learning through Language
Literacy Engagement
Content Reading
Critical Literacy
Drama
Inquiry/Research
Integrated Curriculum
Literature Study
Social Action
The Arts
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons
Lessons

6-7 from lessonplanspage.com

Webquests

91 6-8 Language ArtsWebquests listed on Bernie Dodge's USD Webquest Home
Memphis, Tennessee Schools Webquests

Student Publishing

5-6 Applying literacy online - The Literacy Web - UConn

Levels 9-12

Webquests

91 6-8 Language ArtsWebquests listed on Bernie Dodge's USD Webquest Home
Memphis, Tennessee Schools HS Webquests

Languages Other Than English Standards

Memphis City Schools Teaching and Learning Academy Foreign Language Standards

Mathematics Standards

Music Standards

Music Standards

Science Standards

The American Association for the Advancement of Science

k-2

Webquests

25 k-2 Science Webquests listed on Bernie Dodge's USD Webquest Home
Teaching and Learning Academy Webquest List (Memphis, Tennessee)

3-5

Webquests

63 3-5 Science Webquests listed on Bernie Dodge's USD Webquest Home

6-8

Webquests

92 6-8 Science Webquests listed on Bernie Dodge's USD Webquest Home

9-12

Webquests

84 9-12 Science Webquests listed on Bernie Dodge's USD Webquest Home

Technology Standards

Online practice/instruction