Re: [school-discuss] Open-Source advocacy

dhcjournalism@optonline.net wrote:

To what extend has an open source advocacy group been formed in the United States, or elsewhere, to help centralize knowledge resources, publish targeted materials (and whatever else it is that advocacy groups do all day) to local, state, and government institutions? (read: schools, bureaucracy, etc)

--David H. Crusoe
Kids' Internet Radio Project

A significant Open Source advocacy group exists at the University of Southern Mississippi. The group comes under the auspicies of the Open Source Software Institute (http://oss-institute.org).

OSSI sponsors numerous initiatives as you can see on their web site.

An article about them and other advocates in can be found at : http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7131

You will see more on their web sites: http://ogip.org http://governmentforge.org http://ossi-news.org

Also USM, I understand, has planned a Competency Center for Open Source and you'll see even more out of that. I'm hoping that they will offer some higher institution credits for Linux courses on-line.