[school-discuss] Ice & Education

Greetings from Bolivar, Missouri, where we are
still gradually recovering from one of the worst
freezing rain events in recorded history. I spent
more than one night in a house with no electricity
and little water or heat, listening to the sound
of ice-covered tree branches crashing to the
ground outside the window.

During this stretch with no computer usage (never
mind Internet access), I was able to get a whole
different perspective on technology, its role, and
its limitations. I found that rereading parts
of Neil Postman's book _Technopoly_ during the
crisis was very helpful. :-)

If anyone is thinking of using the Great Midwestern
Ice Storm of January 2007 as the basis for some
kind of educational project, let me know; I can
provide front-line experience direct from the
combat zone--and I certainly hope that *some* good
should come out of this. . . .

Joel Kahn

Finding fabulous fares is fun.