Re: [school-discuss] recommendation request for Intro to IT class syllabus

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Marilyn Hagle
<marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Micheal,
>
> I use resources at http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/courses/courses/index.htm   and
>  http://ocw.tufts.edu/CourseList .
>
> I have not checked this out but it looks good . . .
> http://www.opencontentalliance.org/contributors/ .
>
> Good luck!
>
> Marilyn
>

> Quoting Micheal Cooper <cooper.me@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> I mostly lurk on this mailing list and learn a great deal from the
>> posters, but in addition to sysadmin duties, I will be team-teaching
>> Intro to IT to incoming first-year students starting next April. The
>> college is an English-immersion liberal arts college for Japanese
>> students.
>>
>> Students: Japanese first-year college students
>> Medium: English
>> Platform: Windows computer lab, but free to switch between Windows and
>> Macintosh rooms
>>
>> There will have to be a good dose of practical skills education, since
>> they will need to learn to connect to the file server shares, select a
>> printer, use the office suite, etc., but I am wondering if anyone
>> knows of a good resource that would give me a framework for
>> structuring the class. Ideally, I would like to move all the students
>> over to OpenOffice, but I won't be able to get that through the
>> faculty on my first teaching assignment.
>>
>> Other ideas that I have are:
>> using Google well (using the regex-like options like site:, define:,
>> minus sign for NOT, etc.
>> mail merge to produce personalized documents (they can use these for
>> clubs and the college festival)
>> database-like lists in spreadsheets as a way to manage information
>>
>> Anyone know of sites that host or list computer literacy syllabi and
>> resources?
>>
>> --
>> Micheal Cooper
>> Miyazaki, Japan (GMT+9, no DST)
>>

> :)

Thank you. The MIT site is a good resource for ideas. After submitting
this thread, I have come to think that I should rephrase my question,
though. I should approach the issue from a different angle.

--
Micheal Cooper
Miyazaki, Japan (GMT+9, no DST)