Re: [school-discuss] M$ Elevate America

On Jan 22, 2010, at 4:02 PM, Tim Dressel wrote:

Being one that has both feet intermingling with FLOSS and the
commercial side, I think you are right, it is important that the FLOSS
community step up to the plate to put together a comprehensive
training package, course list, and promotional materials.

In the K-12 space, there are several of us scattered around the U.S. that are trying to bring the INGOTs program ( www.theingots.org ) to the U.S. This would cover the student certification.

Does anyone know the current state of the Red Hat Academy initiative?

After the Open Minds conference, Vern Ceder and I talk with Jim Lacey, the head of the Linux Professional Institute, about some kind of teacher certification for FOSS experience. He seemed open to exploring the idea and maybe now is the time to pursue it.

I would enjoy being part of a group that could create a package
similar to the Elevate America portal

Count me in.

Bryant

*****

Bryant Patten
Executive Director
The National Center for Open Source and Education
www.ncose.org