From: owner-schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of David Bucknell
Sent: Sat 1/14/2012 12:15
To: schoolforge-discuss
Subject: [school-discuss] Schoolforge.net Vote: Should Schoolforge be blacked out against SOPA on Jan 18th?

I assume you are all better news watchers than I am, but if you haven't read about SOPA and PIPA, proposed US laws regarding Internet-Web rights and responsibilities, then this is your chance.   I'll put a few starter links at the bottom of this post.  In the meantime, I'd like to know what those of you who have read about it think about this legislation.  It's probably fair to say that it could affect a lot of non-US citizens, orgs and companies as well as those in the US.  I'd like to propose that given a majority's support over the next three days, that on January 18th, we "black out" schoolforge.net in support of the anti-sopa movement: http://www.sopastrike.com/ .

So vote with your e-mail and say yea or nay to Schoolforge.net joining the blackout.  And if you have for or against thoughts you want heard, please give them "voice" via this list.  I guess that since it's a US-based problem, we can use US time for when the blackout would start and end (central time fair?).  That will give the rest of us a little extra time to prepare.

If you the nays outnumber the yeas, we'll do nothing.  If no one responds, we'll just do it, ok? ;-) Cuz I think that, small as Schoolforge.net is, it should support freedom of information.  (Now you know what I think.  How 'bout you?)

Soaping up for the procedure now,

David

A Few Relevant Links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

http://www.reddit.com/r/sopa

-- http://www.eff.org/sites/default/files/One-Page-SOPA_0.pdf

 http://americancensorship.org/

Good selection of links: http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA

http://intknowledge.com
91 Suthisan, Dindaeng, Bangkok 10400
+66(0)84 329 1183 (cell); +66(0)2 693 8144 (Don't dial the zero (0) outside of Thailand.)

<<winmail.dat>>