From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [school-discuss] project idea: open source text books
To: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, January 27, 2012, 3:54 PM

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, James Daley wrote:

> quick question what is the difference between a text book anyother
> book like a manual or reference guide?

In my case, I want to initially provide courseware for primary and
secondary (K-12) education as official replacements for heavy,
expensive, and proprietary textbooks. This needs to be approved (and
desired) by school teachers, administration, lawmakers (in some cases),
and hopefully the children/parents too. The target medium may be small
touch pad devices, ebook readers, laptops, or even printed and bound
materials.

Some first steps may be:

- find out how much schools spend on certain textbooks and how often
updated or replaced.

- find out procedures for publishers to propose new textbooks

- find out procedures for instructors to request new textbooks

- how are lawmakers involved? What are the levels of permission or
requirements? (local, district, state?)

- what types of textbooks require permission at different levels?
###