Re: [school-discuss] List of Free Software programs for education by OSS watch UK

Did I miss something, or is there no mention of LTSP in this list, or
of Linux as an alternative operating system? LTSP is enabling several
hundred schools to implement low-cost networks based on Linux,
integrated with most of the packages listed in complete distributions
such as Edubuntu or Skolelinux.

Regards,

John Ingleby
(Formerly of Schoolforge-UK)

On 19 January 2013 22:46, Guido Arnold <watsolldat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I just got pointed to this and thought you might find this as
> interesting as I do since schoolforge collects the same kind of information:
>
>         https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/news/list-open-source-options-education-published-oss-watch
>
>         A list to help schools find open source alternatives to
>         proprietary software applications was published earlier this
>         week by OSS Watch, a service for higher and further education
>         institutions in the UK. Introducing the list, OSS Watch
>         development manager Mark Johnson says: "Where possible, we’ve
>         included real-world examples of their usage."
>
>         The list is divided in seven education areas, such as
>         E-Learning, Assessment and Classroom Tools. In the E-Learning
>         section, for example, it lists Moodle, Sakai and Canvas as
>         open source alternatives. "The Manchester Metropolitan
>         University selected Moodle after an extensive review", OSS
>         Watch adds, adding a link to a 2010 report by the university.
>
>         [...]
>
> Greetings,
>
> Guido
>
> --
> Guido Arnold                       Free Software Foundation Europe
> http://blogs.fsfe.org/guido    []           Edu team & German team
> OpenPGP Key-ID:  0x51628D75  [][][]                    Get active!
> XMPP: guido@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    ||   http://fsfe.org/support/?guido
> ###
>
> --
> believed to be clean.