Re: [school-discuss] Discussion About Linux on Linkedin

The confusion is astounding, I agree.  The "open-washing" of so many recent initiatives has removed most of the meaning of "open", and "free" has always had it's difficulties.  A colleague of mine recently attended a conference where a speaker talked up the benefits of "open source" resources like facebook and skype (groan).  He had to ask for a sidebar afterward to explain.

The students who take my class on F/OSS in Education (tinyurl.com/fossclass) are mostly practicing teachers, and rarely come to class knowing what f/oss actually means.