Re: [school-discuss] Free-Open Baccalaureate Idea

Excellent idea. Yishay.Quoting Yishay Mor <y.mor@ioe.ac.uk>:

> David (and others),
[respectful snip]
> Here's m proposal:
>
> Create two projects and three communities that evolve in tandem:
> * The content project, with a team of educators to author, edit and
> structure the learning materials.
> * The platform project, with a team of developers to provide an open
> source system to support the content project.
>
> Needless to say, no wheel inventing allowed.  We start from some
> existing OSS Wiki clone, and add functionality to it.
>
> These two projects define two communities, hopefully with some overlap
> in membership.  The third community I have in mind is the "consumer"
> community - teachers and students that will use the content from early
> stages, and provide critical feedback to the first two communities.

This is a very smart idea. I had not thought of it, but it's the critical
constituency, so if we could get some users trying it from the start as you say,
that would be great.

> If you find this interesting, I suggest you set up a discussion space
> for any interested parties (looks like you have the resources, and it
> would make sense to tie this idea into the existing framework).

Will do. sfbac or sfcontent or sfcurr ...?

> Also,  I suggest we try to interest some academic partners (I know a
> few). They can bring expertise, funding and publicity.
> But we should probably have some prototype to show first.

Fantastic. Ian brought up the problem of the UK's national curriculum aleady. I
think that's all the more reason to allow folks to start on a core of courses
(i.e. units, lessons, texts, other) for particular age-groups/spans,
developmental levels -- written broadly so they'd be easy to adapt to a
particular country or locality's private standards. Not easy, but I think worth
doing as it would create something with which a willing teacher could take and run.

> best,>
> - Yishay
and to you.

I'll get back with list info.