Re: [school-discuss] Learning Objects

Hi David,

> What authoring tools can be used?

Well, it depends on what kind of things (may I say "object"?) that you're
creating.

However, the hard part isn't the tools. The hard part is the actual
process of "giving birth" to to those objects... sitting down and thinking
about what you're trying to present, what things to leave out (important),
and how you want to give students feedback on how they're doing, etc.

Then, in terms of tools, I would suggest:
1) A good text editor. I use emacs. (or vi )
2) A good graphics tool like Gimp or Photoshop.

I like to write in LaTex and then produce PDF using PdfLatex and produce
HTML using Latex2html. I also write things directly in HTML. I like the
approach of being able create a single source document and then have
multiple output formats. However, other tools are sometimes useful. For
example Visio is good for diagrams and I use Pagemaker for doing certain
kinds of documents and then output PDF from that. If you want flash
output, then of course you're going to have to look at other commercial
products, too.

I also would like to do some work in DocBook or another XML markup
language (TEI?), but the tools I have currently get the job done quite
well and are very mature.

The important thing, I guess, is that one is comfortable with the tools
that you use to create objects. Familiar tools are important since you can
then forget about the tool and focus on the product.

As well, my bias, is that if the reusability and a fine degree of
granularity of a "learning object" are important, then don't use a high
level tool like Dreamweaver to create it.

My idea would be to focus on the content of the documents, put the
structural elements in place to describe the file, and then use style
sheets to control the presentation of the content. Standard ideas about
separating content and presentation. This approach will allow others to
take the content, chop it up, change the presentation, etc and integrate
it into other objects, etc.  A Dreamweaver object with multiple embedded
tables and spacer gifs isn't going to work quite as well.

So create small "granular" objects using simple tools. They can then be
assembled into larger objects of use. I'm speaking here directly about
objects rendered via web browsers (possibly with plugins) and without any
requirement for a server backend process (which then enables all kinds of
other interesting applications).

Les Richardson
H. Hardcastle School

--