From: owner-schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net
[mailto:owner-schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net] On Behalf Of Yishay Mor
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 12:57 PM
To: schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net
Subject: Linux construction lab (was: [school-discuss] A Linux pc for $180?)

Here's an idea, IMHO, in the spirit of schoolforge:

1. Write up a school course on "how to build and manage your own killer
PC".  That kid can contribute instructions for converting an XBox into a
Linux server, others can probably add other neat tricks.
2. Publish the coos materials as open source content.
3. Run the course anywhere, and distribute the products locally. The
community gets low cost pcs, the school gets a small premium, the kids
get a lot of self esteem and the knowledge that they can create their
own world.

- Yishay

Yishay Mor

http://ioewebserver.ioe.ac.uk/ioe/cms/get.asp?cid=4381&4381_0=7303
	   y.mor@ioe.ac.uk  Ph +44(0)20 7612 6963 F +44(0)20 7612 6964
	   AIM,Yahoo: yishaym; Jabber: yishaym@jabber.org; ICQ: 179772099

	   If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of
this post:
	   http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=yishaym
celebrating 100 years of excellence in education
		www.ioe.ac.uk/centenary