RE: [school-discuss] Shockwave player

Damiano Wrote:

> Keep in mind that "flash" technologies are quite different
> from "shockwave" ones. The "proprietary" flash-player and the
> FLOSS one, GNASH, are able to manage "flash" object.

My understanding of the GNASH project is that it is not just a "flash"
player but a "shockwave flash" player.  The project itself @
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnash/ is described as: "Gnash is a
flash (shockwave) player and Firefox plug-in."  It is based partly off
of the gameswf library which is an open source Public Domain library for
parsing and rendering SWF movies, using 3D hardware APIs for rendering.
<http://www.tulrich.com/geekstuff/gameswf.html>

The SWF specs are open and standard so this should make it feasible to
write a ShockWave Flash player.  That is what the GNASH project is
working on.

I think the best bet is to bring this point to the attention of the TLF
and try to persuade them to test across platforms with Linux testing
being done with GNASH.  This will aid in debugging GNASH and giving
schools an open source option avoiding vendor and platform lock-in.

Andrew